Sunday, July 14, 2013

Super Easy Peach & Blueberry Crisp

One of the things that sold us on our current home was the awesome variety of fruit trees in the backyard.  I was sooooo in love with them all those years ago.  Instantly I knew this would be the house we would buy.  I had grand plans of all the very "domestic" and "foody" things I would do!

Sadly, I'm not good at taking care of plants. Fruit trees included.  They are basically on their own for survival. I'm pretty sure the irrigation doesn't even work for them anymore.  Surprisingly they still manage to produce fruit each year.  Well, most of them.  The cherry tree fell victim to a neighbor tree which failed its acrobatic leap over our fence and landed on top of Cherry.  She suffered pretty catastrophic injuries.  But, let me be clear that her demise had nothing whatsoever to do with my neglect.  I can neither foresee nor prevent random weather related accidents!


Over the weekend, Josh randomly came back in from taking out the trash, with handfuls of peaches and nectarines!  I thought I spied some peaches over the fence last week as I was pulling out of the driveway.  I guess it was NOT a hopeful illusion on my part but a happy reality!  Yay!  Lets make some peach cobbler for dessert tonight. 

But I'm not a great baker.  As I've probably mentioned.  And cobbler is like pie.  With crust.  Which I've never tried to make and had no inkling to do so then.  I decided to make a peach CRISP instead.  It's totally more up my alley.  It's a fool proof type of dessert.  (I'm no fool!!!). I've made this before, using my backyard peaches.  And I had blueberries which would make this even more fancy.  Having misplaced my old crisp recipe, I turned to the handy Internet and within moments had many recipes to choose from. Since I'm such an expert baker, I chose to follow the VERY complicated option here, from the Healthy Easy Recipe blog, which advertised "Two Steps."  Yes, that is sarcasm.  And yep, that recipe is a perfect match for me and my baking skills.  While I admit it's two MAIN steps with a few sub-steps needed, it's still super easy.

Ingredients

  • Fresh Fruit- about 4 cups, but use more if you'd like and your baking dish can accommodate!
  • 2 cups Oats
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (one cube) melted butter
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (I'm a bit heavy handed and use more)
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg (again, heavy handed!)
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I find walnuts are bitter, which might be a good flavor...if you like that...I use pecans)

Directions


  1. Slice your fruit into bite sized pieces and add right into your dish.  Use a large baking dish or individual ramekins.
    1. I didn't bother to remove the peach skins.  Most recipes tell you to, I don't think it's a big deal to leave them on and frankly can't bother with that step!
    2. I chose to make these in two ramekins.  His & Hers servings.  In theory.  However, these were like 6 inch diameter size.  And we shared one with a bit left over.  This recipe is pretty much a four serving size.  With large servings!
  2. Add all of your dry ingredients into a bowl and mix up
  3. Pour the melted butter on top and stir until there is no dry left in the mixture
  4. Spoon the oat mix on top of your fruit
  5. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes (golden top and bubbly juices!)
  6. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream for best results.  At least we think so.



Peaches & Blueberries right into the baking dishes

Throw all dry ingredients together, and mix well

Pour the melted butter over your oat mix

Stir until no dry is left

Top your fruit, and toss in the oven.

Voila!  Yummy, warm fruit crisp with vanilla bean ice cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment